Friday, October 13, 2017

Rice Crispy Wings – No Breakfast Cereal was Harmed in the Making of this Video

As promised, here is the rice-flour coated chicken wings recipe I teased in the mumbo sauce video. It’s hard to believe that this is the first fried wings video we’ve ever done, but that was the case, which is why I’m so glad these turned out as well as they did. 

Besides being gluten-free, which is probably a big deal to a small, but enthusiastic part of my audience, this rice flour coating ended up being light, crispy, and extremely sauce friendly.

The original buffalo style chicken wings are fried without any type of coating, and while I do enjoy them that way, they aren’t the best at holding on to a sauce. This is why people started adding some kind of starch to the outside, which creates a less slick, rougher surface, that really grabs onto whatever you’re dipping, or tossing them in.

By the way, before your wings get coated with the flour, you’re free to spice these anyway you want. Other than the salt, everything else is up for grabs. I went very simple, as I usually do, but the mind reels at the possibilities. Regardless of how you flavor yours, I really do hope you give them a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for *one pound of rice crispy chicken wings:
1 pound chicken wing sections (flats and drums)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon fine salt)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup rice flour, preferably "stone-ground" (you can grind you own in a spice mill)

* This can be scaled up to however large a batch you need. I usually allow 1/2 pound of wings per person for a party.

- If you’re doing a larger batch, be sure to give the wings a toss or two during the refrigeration time. By the way, two hours would be a minimum, but if you want, you can leave these overnight with the seasoning.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this. This is awesome.

Kal Lee said...

I have lived in DC for over 15 years and have never gotten a straight answer what is in Mumbo Sauce. Thanks for cracking the code! Looks good and cant wait to try myself! The other food item DC is known for as HALF SMOKES! Also very yummy but who knows how to make them?

Unknown said...

I didn't make this recipe, but I have to tell you, I made your Pita bread recipe yesterday. I made a tagine and wanted good bread and found your recipe (my blog post mentioned you www.atypical60.com). It was soooooooooooo great that I ended up making a second batch today. I don't know whether to love you or to be angry at your for making me eat too many carbs. But I don't care! My husband is a Frenchman and bread is sacred to him--and he loved the recipe. We will never eat store bought pita again. Thank you a million times!!!!

Kevan Smith said...

I have a food wish! Apples are a good Autumn dish, and I searched for a baked apple recipe for you, but came up empty. Maybe you made one and my search skills stink, but, if you haven't made one, I'd like to see a baked apple recipe video. I know Raymond Blanc has his famous one with Calvados and caramelized nuts, but what is your take on the dish? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh wow that looks amazing! I will try it this weekend. Great tip about removing that chicken wing bone btw! Thanks!

Brennan_M said...

My son has a gluten allergy so this was perfect for both of us. I made three pounds and only had a few left over...which he ate for breakfast.